Call us today: 0161 928 0966


Car insurance and car tax exemption for disabled people

Have you purchased your Motability vehicle and are wondering what the next steps will be to get on the road? Let’s take a look at everything you need to know about ensuring your vehicle is road safe including tax exemption and tax reduction, as well as insuring your vehicle.

Who can drive a Motability car?

When you receive your Motability car, up to three named drivers are included as part of your lease. Two drivers are nominated when you apply, with the third eligible to be added later through RSA Motability. The named drivers can include yourself, a friend, family member, spouse or carer. Find out more about who can drive a Motability car.

How do I insure my vehicle?

When it comes to insuring your vehicle, we know it can be daunting finding the right policy for you and your needs. But if you’re leasing a new car through the Motability scheme, a lot of the things you’ll need are already included in your package! This helps make the process as streamlined and accessible as possible.

Do you get free insurance with Motability cars?

Included within the Motability scheme is:

  • Fully comprehensive insurance
  • Tax
  • Servicing and maintenance
  • Breakdown cover

This gives you peace of mind when leasing a new Motability vehicle that everything will be covered on your behalf, therefore reducing the time and effort that these things would take to arrange yourself.

Finding insurance for disabled drivers

If you are purchasing a WAV privately and need to insure your own vehicle, we recommend choosing an insurance company with an understanding of adapted vehicles. It’s important to compare the price and benefits of a specialised disability car insurer to mainstream providers, as you may even get a better premium. This is generally because specialist insurers have a better understanding of modified vehicles, and how it fundamentally works for you, rather than the aesthetics and performance of the vehicle.

How do I tax my car if I am disabled?

If you receive the higher rate mobility DLA, enhanced rate mobility PIP, higher rate mobility child disability payment or armed forces independent payment, you may be eligible to apply for tax exemption for your WAV.

When do I claim my tax exemption?
  • If you are buying a new vehicle from a dealership, simply take your certificate of entitlement to claim the free tax.
  • If you have purchased a used vehicle and the dealership is unable to tax it for you, then it needs to be done through a Post Office branch that deals with vehicle tax.
  • Following this, you can renew your tax exemption using your V11. This can be done online, by telephone or at a Post Office branch that deals with vehicle tax.

What do I need to take to the Post Office?
  • The V5C/ Logbook registered in your name
  • A valid MOT Certificate
  • Certificate of entitlement
  • Insurance certificate for vehicles registered in Northern Ireland

If you aren’t eligible for tax exemption, you may be eligible for tax reduction. You can apply for this if you receive PIP Standard Rate Mobility Payment.

What do I need to be able to claim?
  • A letter or statement from the Department for Work and Pensions that shows your PIP rate and the dates you’re getting it
  • The V5C/Logbook
  • V10 form
  • An original MOT or GVT certificate (if your vehicle needs one)
  • A cheque or payable order (made out to DVLA, Swansea) for 50% of the full rate of car tax for the vehicle
  • An insurance certificate or cover note (if you live in Northern Ireland)

Tax and insurance shouldn’t be a headache! At Cartwright Mobility we’re committed to giving you the best experience possible, so don’t hesitate to contact us if you need anymore information and guidance on sorting out your Motability vehicle.

Find out more about what’s included in the Motability Scheme.

Information from and Motability

Back to all blog posts