What’s included in the Motability Scheme?
The Motability Scheme allows you to exchange all or part of your higher rate mobility allowance to lease a car, WAV (wheelchair accessible vehicle), scooter, or powered wheelchair to help make travel more accessible.
What makes the Motability Scheme so amazing is that it includes a lot of things that would otherwise take a lot of time and effort to organise. This is one of the things that makes the scheme so worthwhile.
Interested in buying a car, WAV, scooter or powered wheelchair and want to know what you’d be getting with the Motability Scheme? Here’s everything that’s included:
Do you pay insurance on a Motability car or vehicle?
- No, you don’t have to arrange and pay for your own insurance for a Motability vehicle.
- Insurance is included in the Motability Scheme for two named drivers (with the option to add a third later) so you won’t have to arrange insurance yourself.
- Rather than go through the process of comparing insurance providers, something which can be even more complex for disabled drivers – Motability arranges your insurance cover for you.
Do you pay tax on a Motability car or vehicle?
- No, you don’t have to arrange to pay tax on your Motability vehicle.
- Road Tax is included in the Motability Scheme.
- While all disabled drivers are entitled to tax relief on their vehicles, this has to be applied for and arranged. With the Motability Scheme, you don’t have to worry about arranging anything yourself.
Is servicing and maintenance included in the Motability Scheme?
- Yes, regular servicing and maintenance are covered under the Motability Scheme.
- Servicing your vehicle privately can be expensive, so having this covered under the scheme is another thing you don’t have to worry about.
Is breakdown cover included in the Motability Scheme?
- Yes, breakdown cover is included in the Motability Scheme.
- RAC Motability Assist provides full breakdown cover for all Motability customers.
- Knowing you can get stuck if you break down is a fear for all drivers, but especially if you have a disability – so, knowing you’re covered will help give you some peace of mind when travelling.
What other repairs or replacements are included in the Motability Scheme?
- Repairs and replacement for tyres, windscreens, and windows are all covered under the Motability Scheme.
- Autoglass will fix all chipped windscreens and fully replace them if necessary.
- Kwik Fit tyres will be provided whenever needed.
- Worrying about the cost of repairs and replacements is a concern for all drivers, so it’s nice to know everything is taken care of as part of the Motability Scheme.
So, how does the Motability Scheme work?
To find out more how the Motability Scheme works, watch this short video:
The Motability Scheme with Cartwright Mobility
At Cartwright Mobility, we specialise in wheelchair accessible vehicles (WAVs) for people either buying privately or through the Motability Scheme. We support you through the buying process from start to finish with free demonstrations at your home, nationwide delivery, and aftercare support. We believe everyone should have easy access to the independence offered by a vehicle and we do everything we can to provide that for our customers – regardless of their budget.
Contact us today to discuss your WAV options under the Motability Scheme with our friendly team of specialists.Back to all blog posts